The Scottish Wildcat
by Christopher Clegg
Britain's most endangered mammal
The Scottish wildcat is an endangered species, but conservationist groups are fighting hard for its survival and proliferation, and in the process uncovering more facts about this beautiful, rarely-glimpsed, mammal.
This fascinating book on the wildcat by Dr Clegg reveals:
• its inbuilt survival instinct and adaptability
• unusual sightings such as wildcats swimming out to islands in lochs
• a history of the wildcat from prehistoric to the present day
• natural history including breeding and territory
• wildcats and the Scottish clans
• wildcats as medieval vermin or for skins
• dens and territorial ranges
• in captivity, in literature and folklore
• fascinating trail camera footage of this elusive rare mammal
• latest initiatives to save the wildcat
85 Colour photographs
Sep 05, 2017
About the Author:
Dr Christopher Clegg is a biological research scientist with numerous published articles to his name. He lived in Scotland for several years and returns there frequently, to walk over the many mountain peaks and along remote trails, with occasional encounters with local wildlife.
He saw his first wildcat in the late 1990s. He has a lifelong interest in natural history and in recent years has captured many species on video using trail cameras, including footage of the Scottish wildcat.