Your privacy is important to us. This notice explains our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used. To make this notice easy to find, we make it available on our homepage and at every point where personal information may be requested.
The information we collect
This notice applies to all information collected or submitted on the Merlin Unwin Books Ltd website. On some pages, you can order our books, make requests, and register to receive materials. The types of personal information collected at these pages are:
Credit/Debit Card Information
On some pages, you can submit information about other people. For example, if you order a book online and want it sent directly to the recipient, you will need to submit the recipient's address. In this circumstance, the types of personal information collected are:
The way we use information
We use the information you provide about yourself when placing an order only to complete that order. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to complete that order.
We use the information you provide about someone else when placing an order only to ship the product and to confirm delivery. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to complete that order.
We do not sell your information to third parties.
We use the third party MailChimp to email Merlin Unwin Books’ monthly newsletter to customers who have requested it. MailChimp always offers recipients of the newsletter the option to unsubscribe and they notify Merlin Unwin Books of this. We shall then delete an unsubscriber’s name from Merlin Unwin Books’ records.
We use return email addresses to answer the email we receive. Such addresses are not used for any other purpose and are not shared with outside parties.
You can register with our website if you would like to receive our catalogue as well as updates on our new products and services. Information you submit on our website will not be used for this purpose unless you complete the appropriate form.
Our commitment to data security
To prevent unauthorised access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted.
How long do we keep your information for?
We do not retain personal information for longer than is necessary.
If we have a relationship with you (e.g. you are a customer and have bought a book/s from us in the past, or have specifically requested to be kept informed about our forthcoming publications) we hold your personal information securely until our relationship ends by you requesting to come off our database. Whenever we send you our printed brochure, or news of our new publications via email, we shall always give you a clear, easy option to unsubscribe.
The only exceptions to the above are where:
- the law requires us to hold your personal information for a specified period, or to delete it immediately;
- Where you have raised a complaint or concern regarding a product or service offered by us, in which case we will retain your information for a period of 6 years following the date of that complaint or query; or
- you exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted or required under the law.
How you can correct your information
You can correct factual errors in your personally identifiable information by sending us a request that the error be amended – when placing an order, returning customers are always provided with the opportunity to update the information we hold for them. We NEVER store your credit card information on our webserver.
To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
How you can manage the information we hold about you
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information under data protection law. In relation to most rights, we will ask you for information to confirm your identity and, where applicable, to help us search for your personal information. Except in rare cases, we will respond to you within 30 days after we have received any request.
You have the right to:
- Ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you;
- Correct and update your information;
- Withdraw your consent (where we rely on it).
- Object to our use of your information (where we rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information) provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process the information. When we do rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information for direct marketing, we will always comply with your right to object;
- Erase your information (or restrict the use of it), provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process that information;
- Transfer your information in a structured data file (in a commonly used and machine readable format), where we rely on your consent to use and process your personal information or need to process it in connection with your contract.
You can exercise the above rights and/or manage your information by contacting us using the details below:
How to contact us
Should you have other questions or concerns about these privacy policies, please call us at 01584 877456 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. If you agree to this, the file is added and the cookie helps us to analyse web traffic. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies on our website.